Veterans Day – A Day To Remember & Thank Those That Have Served
Celebrated each year on November 11, a date symbolic of the signing of the agreement to end World War I, Veterans Day is a federal holiday that honors the men and women who served in the United States Armed Forces. Since November 11th landed on a Sunday this year, the 100th Veterans Day will be observed today, Monday, November 12, 2018.
Each year on November 11th, at 11:00 a.m. the Veterans Day National Ceremony is held at Arlington National Cemetery. The ceremony begins with the laying of the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and continues with a parade of colors by veterans’ organizations. Important dignitaries give their remarks and honor and thank all the brave men and women who have served as a part of the United States Armed Forces.
In honor of the holiday, many stores and restaurant offer free meals or discounts to veterans, and many organizations close for a day of observance.
This is a list of organizations that will be opened and closed.
- Markets: The New York Stock Exchange, Nasdaq, and other major US exchanges will be open with regular business hours. Bond markets are closed today.
- Post Offices: Post offices will be closed today and no mail will be delivered. Most FedEx and UPS stores will be open
- Banks: Although it varies, many banks will be closed today in observance of Veterans Day.
- Non-essential federal offices and courts will be closed Monday
- Schools: Closings will vary from state to state and school district to school district
“While only one day of the year is dedicated solely to honoring our veterans, Americans must never forget the sacrifices that many of our fellow countrymen have made to defend our country and protect our freedoms.” -Randy Neugebauer
Please consider thanking all that serve and that have served our country.